Nyhaug consistent among World’s Best
(Auckland, NZE – July 28, 2013) Canadian BMX humble star Tory Nyhaug (Coquitlam, BC) finished the 2013 International Cycling Union (UCI) BMX World Championships in fifth place on Sunday in Auckland, New Zealand, establishing himself consistently among the World’s best BMX riders.
Nyhaug easily qualified for the elimination round motos with the eleventh fastest time of the Time Trial race on Saturday.
On the day of the Supercross World Championships, Nyhaug breezed through the first two rounds by placing third and second respectively. In the semi-finals, and facing some stiff competition, Nyhaug resisted the strong field to finish second of his heat to move on to the big finals.
In the final heat of the day, Nyhaug took the fifth place crossing the line just two seconds behind the winner, and less than one second off the podium, an excellent result for the young rider.
Liam Phillips (GBR) today became the new World Champion, dislodging Sam Willoughby (AUS) of the rainbow stripes. Marc Willers (NZE), racing on his home country soil, took the second place, while German rider Luis Brethauer (GER) took the third place to complete the podium.
Nyhaug entered the 2013 UCI BMX World Championships ranked 16th in the world ranking, after missing the last two races recovering from an injury he sustained late in the spring. At his only UCI Supercross race, in Manchester (GBR), Nyhaug had posted his career best results finishing in second place.
In the women’s race, Canada’s Amelia Walsh (Ayr, ON) qualified for the Supercross competition with the 22nd fastest time. In the three-race motos, Walsh finished fifth of her heat, and finished her World Championships appearance in 24th place.
RESULTS – 2013 UCI BMX WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS – AUCKLAND, BMX
1. PHILLIPS, Liam (GBR) 23.280
2. WILLERS, Marc (NZL) 23.492 +0.212
3. BRETHAUER, Luis (GER) 24.377 +1.097
4. JASPERS, Martijn (NED) 25.322 +2.042
5. NYHAUG, Tory (CAN) 25.348 +2.068
6. CALLAN, Joshua (AUS) 26.159 +2.879
7. NAGASAKO, Yoshitaku (JPN) 41.877 +18.597
8. NOBLES, Barry (USA) 55.801 +32.521
1. BUCHANAN, Caroline (AUS) 25.506
2. REYNOLDS, Lauren (AUS) 26.802
3. VALENTINO, Manon (FRA) 26.991
4. MARTIN, Arielle (USA) 27.240
5. POST, Alise (USA) 28.034
6. PAJON, Mariana (COL) 28.078
7. HERNANDEZ, Stefany (VEN) 1:13.347
8. DIAZ, Maria Gabriela (ARG) 1:18.039
24. WALSH, Amelia (CAN)